Redhead Fangirl

Tuesday, October 3

Oh, here she comes, she's a....

Happy October fanboys and fangirls!
Back from the sometimes cold but very nice Saugatuck. It amazed me that there were dunes, waves, and even seagulls on Lake Michigan-- you could almost be at the ocean (almost). Saw Gordon was in Chicago airports too-- how cool it would have been to see him!
In the airport and on the flight, I got to catch up with my comic pile. I also finally read Manhunter: Street Justice, the trade of issues 1-5. Kate Spencer is a great character- flawed, smart, brave, and as Mark Andreyko says himself-- with real proportions! Her red fighting outfit is much more realistic than heels, thong bodysuit, and the standard unrealistic outfits of our superheroines. Plus, she has a demanding job as a prosecutor, and isn't the 'perfect' mother and lawyer and wife and housekeeper and friend. She has a sense of duty and justice, and with no superpowers (but some good weapons) tries to stop a deranged killer. Great art from Jesus Saiz and Palmiotti, from rooftops to sewers, courtrooms and villains.

The next trade is not out until Jan 2007, but I will continue to follow the character. Phillygirl has vented how hard it can be to "break in" to a longstanding series. It's always great to start on the ground floor, and seeing how this series is only at 26 issues, I can be a part of it. There have been many rumors of it's demise, but the series keeps crankin' thanks to fans like Heidi, who has promoted it for a long time on her blog.

Tonight- Yankees vs. Tigers (GO YANKEES!) and Veronica Mars Season 3 starts. Have to get some running and guitar in before plopping down at the TV.

7 Comments:

At 2:14 PM, Blogger phillygirl2873 said...

Ah yes. I've heard good stuff about that one. But you know me. I hate to start in the middle of the story. I'll wait for the trades.

 
At 6:49 PM, Blogger Heidi Meeley said...

Thank you so much for the shout out! I am so pleased that DC is bringing back Manhunter! When I heard about it, my whole week was made.

I am glad you are back from your trip by the way! I hope it was nice!

 
At 10:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Yankees vs. Tigers (GO YANKEES!)"

I knew I liked you!

Great start last night! I'll have to miss the middle innings for Lost tonight, and if I flip channels during the commercials, my better half will throw the remote at my head. :-) It'll probably only be the 3rd or 4th by 10 PM, though.

When I was younger and bought 20+ new comics a month, part of the fun was catching up on what you had missed, scouring cons for back issues. (This was often your only option, as this was before trade paperbacks.)

But it was nice to get in on the ground floor of something, too. Roy Thomas's "All-Star Squadron" is still one of my all-time favorite series - not collected to my knowledge, but you can still get back issues in the 50-cent and dollar bins - and I remember how exciting it was to get those early issues back in '81-'82. Anyone else remember that series fondly?

I will also say that comics back then were in general less inclined to long storylines, so it was a little easier to jump on at any point. This was less true of Marvel than DC, but I got into Marvel a little later.

 
At 5:26 PM, Blogger Gordon D said...

Which Chicago airport? Midway or O'Hare?

(both are pretty headache-y)

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

ramessesix- rain delay on the Yanks, which was good because of Lost in the middle. Glad I didn't go and wait for the 10 PM first pitch just to be sent home!

G- flew into Midway Thurs and out on Mon. Drove about 3 hours to Michigan.

 
At 11:29 AM, Blogger Ragtime said...

I have the complete run of Manhunter. Definitely the best thing out there now, and I'm looking forward to the December Manhunter blitz (#26 and Birds of Prey #100).

I hope that if they do cancel her after the Wonder Woman arc, they'll put her in BoP where she can remain well used.

 
At 5:41 PM, Blogger Rae said...

Brent was just asking me today if you were still running. Are you training for anything in particular?

I got a really cute Spiderman Halloween costume for Pippin today. It is SO funny!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home