Redhead Fangirl

Tuesday, February 13

Spidey's load

Marvel is really bonkers regarding Spidey these days. In Spider-Man: Reign, Peter finds he has killed Mary Jane with his 'radioactive fluid'. Really? I know Quesada and the editors at Marvel have been wanting to jettison the marriage-- but biohazard spunk? A new low for a beloved character, and Marvel. I think I'd like to add that fluid to the Cup-O-Joe.

Bryan pointed out this much better fate for Mary Jane: as little red-riding hood.
SPIDER-MAN FAIRY TALES #1
Written by C.B. Cebulski & David Sexton
Art and cover by Ricardo Tercio
In the tradition of X-Men Fairy Tales, Marvel makes its move on melding more modern myths, starting with Spider-Man! Our friendly neighborhood becomes a quaint village and Mary Jane fills the shoes of another famous red-head in this premiere issue as the tale of Little Red Riding Hood is retold with superhero sensibilities!

Recent reads:
DMZ 15 continues with an insurgent storyline, involving US peacekeepers, the Army, and UN. "Trustwell Corporation. Terrorism for hire. Stumbled onto a big and difficult story." I guess I miss the more photojournalism aspects of the story , while Matt is in deep cover. My enjoyment of this comic is waning.

She-Hulk 15

"Hope it's you Bruce. I'm Hulk-lite. Hulk with half the calories." Jennifer struggles against Hulk villians, like the Abomination, and as a S.H.I.E.L.D agent.

Fell 7 was a single police interview room story, with a scumbag murderer getting off due to a defense lawyer. I did like the appearance of a redhead DA- Templesmith's art and is so dark and scratchy, with some shocking color as contrast.

Walking Dead 34 has Rick, Michonne and a few from the Gov camp on route to the prison. Things have changed there, as the final panels show. Next issue should reveal more, but while I'm interested, on WD it's more a mild interest.


Labels: , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 2:51 PM, Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

"Marvel is really bonkers regarding Spidey these days. In Spider-Man: Reign, Peter finds he has killed Mary Jane with his 'radioactive fluid'. Really? I know Quesada and the editors at Marvel have been wanting to jettison the marriage-- but biohazard spunk? A new low for a beloved character, and Marvel. I think I'd like to add that fluid to the Cup-O-Joe."

Tis may be the funniest thing you've ever written. Bravo.

 
At 3:11 PM, Blogger Nick said...

Do you almost find yourself dreading WD? Lately it's been good but so freaking depressing and good gosh it's gotten dark. The "torture issue" was enough....the ending of this last one just adds to it.

Fell was pretty good. I think where Fell excels is in Ellis' ability to tell a self-contained story each issue whilst at the same time eluding subtly to a larger story arc. The fact that Fell is only 1.99 and has Templesmith doing the artwork is just a nice bonus.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hiya,
I sent you a message thru myspace with my cell phone #. If you wanted to meet up during the con and I can give you Owen's book. I'll send the e-mail again incase you didn't get it.

Tommy

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Mark - it might be the dirtiest thing I've written, that's why you like it!

Nick- yes, I think dread is a good word for opening a WD. The rape, torture has been too much for a while.

Tommy- I'll check MS, rarely go there!

 
At 11:01 AM, Blogger Swinebread said...

Marvel is insane

 
At 3:19 PM, Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Good point.

 
At 10:58 PM, Blogger notintheface said...

In terms of outrageousness this week, you could say that Spider-Man: Reign really CREAMS the competition.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home