Redhead Fangirl

Monday, January 8

Z for zombie


The librarian's fiction suggestion[we call this readers advisory in the biz]: World War Z . by Max Brooks
It's the aftermath of the Zombie war, and this book reads like a documentary. There are clips from all over the world, with characters relaying their story of how they and their countries fared. It took me a good bit longer to read than I expected, and it wasn't just horror fluff. A commentary of social classes and military complexes. Zombies are a bit overdone at this point, but this is the author of the Zombie Survival Guide that I also own. I just found out he is Mel Brooks' son!

Now I'm reading Lisey's Story by Stephen King. Another famous son of a writer is Joe Hill (King). Just learned he wrote Fanboyz, a story in Spiderman Unlimited in 2005. I've never read his work, but am waiting for his book Heart-shaped Box (like the Nirvana song) at the library soon.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Blogger Nick said...

How'd you like the small twist of when the narrator was actually talking to Redeker, the guy that made up the whole zombie prepartion plan.

If you like Stephen King, may I suggest The Long Walk, it's kinda depressing but, it's a pretty good book. Also the Gunslinger/Dark Tower comic that is suppose to be coming out pretty soon.

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger phillygirl2873 said...

Oh, I think this is the book that the cutie at the comic book store was telling me about. I couldn't remember the name.

 
At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Long Walk is almost unbearable, but it's one of the best things King ever wrote.

The Joe Hill story is collected in Fantastic Four/Iron Man: Big in Japan, since it was drawn by the late Seth Fisher.

 
At 2:33 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Owen King first book, We're All in This Together is really amazing. I have an extra copy of it if you want. I can pass it off you at either the Big Apple or New York Comic Con.

 
At 7:14 AM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Nick and Dan- Thanks for the suggestion of The Long Walk. Sometimes I think I read everything King wrote, except The Dark Tower series, then realize I'm so wrong!
Thomas- I've heard the Owen King book is unique. That's so nice you'd offer your copy- if you see me at NYCC (since I don't know what you look like!)- I'd be sure to ship it home to you after.

 
At 3:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I sent you a message on myspace last week about the owen king book, included my cell #. hope you got it

 

Post a Comment

<< Home