Redhead Fangirl

Thursday, January 11

Shaking through, opportune

Free Admission to the Big Apple Con, Jan 19, 20 I can't make this one, but maybe some of you midatlantic types can!

More NY-- The NYT on Brian Wood and DMZ

A new kind of post from Bryan, a very knowledgeable comic store employee here. He reads just about every comic, and it's great to hear about what comics he's high on (like the Virgin comic line) or as he tries to convince me to read Annihilation: Super Skrull (uh, no). Anyway, he said I could post his email here, and who doesn't want to hear from someone who even knows the Great Lakes Avengers?

I am starting to agree with you on Civil War. I loved the premise, but I am finding it hard to care for some of the side characters. "Typeface" and "Prodigy", seriously? Not only that but the anti-registration side seems...oh, I don't know...completely screwed? They have what, cap.,hercules, stingray, battlestar, and falcon? And they have to fight Iron Man, the sentry, wonderman, and venom? I don't see how they can win that big fight in the last issue. I think this series may have peaked when "clone thor" came into the picture. Even I don't know a lot of these guys (and I can name almost all of the "Great Lakes Avengers"). Plus, most of the
exposition for these guys can be found in the tie-ins (like frontline), so if you have an extra $20-$30 a month you can get all the answers you need.

Oh, and I'm glad to hear you post about White Tiger, I'm loving it. And that's not her "uncle" as Daredevil, it's Iron Fist. See Iron Fist, Shang Chi, the original White Tiger and all the other kung-fu characters of the seventies used to hang out together, so she used to call all of them
(power-man, daredevil, etc.) "uncle".


Speaking of comic store people, I've heard from Chad, and read Mike Sterling's blog that they aren't wild about Superman Confidential. From the classic Gwen and MJ work of Tim Sale, I was interested to see his art. I like the art, and Variant Edition turned me on to this 'different sort' of Superman story. Supes is just starting out, unsure of the limits of his powers "I appear to be invulnerable. Am I?", and the fame:"To my friends and colleagues, I'm just a farm boy in the big city. To the rest of Metropolis, I've become a protector." And I think the 'overcompensating' to Lois for dashing off or breaking dates is sweet. Only read issue 1, but writer Darwyn Cooke crafts an unusual Supes story, just maybe not for everyone.

3 Comments:

At 1:37 PM, Blogger phillygirl2873 said...

You don't want to read Annihilation: Super Skrull? But Javi wrote that! I got #2 - #4, but I'm looking for #1 so I can actually read them, then I will lend them to you when I'm done.

 
At 1:39 PM, Blogger Nick said...

I miss the GLA....or are they technically the Great Lakes Champions now after the Poker Tournament in The Thing.

On a complete and random note. DC has a free issue of DMZ available @

http://www.dccomics.com/media/excerpts/5272_1.pdf

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

I didn't know your Lost/Medium Javi was on that! You'll have to talk about them with Bryan though, cause most Anni. and Ultimates I just don't read.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home