Redhead Fangirl

Wednesday, November 8

a deadman to me

Deadman 3
I believe this will be my last issue of Deadman. I just can't seem to enjoy the disjointed jump in time storyline (and I'm a fan of that postmodern, Memento style). Also, the brothers Brandon and Scott; I can't seem to remember the lead characters name and I think there has been a little too much Sarah nudity. She was wearing a skin tight revealing red dress to teach physics? Uh, yeah. Maybe it's meant more of a metaphor, like the red dress in Shindler's list. Maybe in trade I'll finish the story, but now a few more dollars will go into other comics.

What comic have you dropped that you had the highest hopes for? I think the Lee/Miller All Star Batman and Robin let a lot of us down. Also dropped this year: Ion, Hawkgirl, Blue Beetle, anything with the word Classified (JLA or JSA), Shrugged, Green Arrow, OMAC, Flash, Friendly Neighborhood Spidey, and the recent additions: Deadman and Eternals.

My on notice list: The All New Atom, Nextwave (ending anyway), Martian Manhunter.

Some series that have ended, leaving me with less on my pull list, but still too many in the pile... Bite Club, Living in Infamy, The Thing, Identity and Infinite Crisis, Spiderwoman.

10 Comments:

At 5:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Er, Bruce Jones is always a no-go for me. Flash is pretty disappointing, I'll agree.

I had high hopes for Batman Year 100, which ended up being bad, but I'm a sucker for finishing mini-series, no matter how bad.

 
At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"Too much nudity" is an oxymoron.

 
At 11:54 PM, Blogger James Meeley said...

I could have told you Deadman was going to bomb, as soon as Bruce Jones name was attached to it. He ruined the Hulk, almost killed Nightwing, what more proof do you need?

Sorry to hear you dropped Ion, though. As for issue W#6 and 7 things have become much more clear and interesting. I think Marz has some pretty big stuff in store for Kyle Rayner in the last few issue of this maxi-series.

 
At 9:00 AM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said...

Actually I've dropped quite a bit, as the $30 a week habit is a bit much. But, to my surprise, I found I lost all interest in Teen Titans and Green Lantern.

The stories weren't strong enough to hold my attention through the long delays, unlike Justice, All-Star Superman or Astonishing X-Men.

I'm on the fence with WW right now.

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Deadman...yeah I stopped after issue 2, I don't know what it is, Bruce Jones is just not writing his best stuff nowadays, I won't even go into his Nightwing run. Flash, Hawkgirl, JLA Classified, yeah they have all been a bit "Eh". Ion & Blue Beetle though, picked up after issue 3 or 4 and both have gotten really good, I feel bad because so many people dropped Ion after issue 2, an Ron Marz if given time can write a decent book. Green Arrow? Really? You dropped it? You didn't think the Deathstroke battle royale was good, a couple of issues back? I think All-New Atom has it's ups and downs, I can't stand John Byrne's artstyle and Simone's writing lately on certain things hasn't been as top notch *cough* Gen13 *cough*.

to vincent: Hated Batman Year 100, money I'll never get back, art wasn't too bad though.

 
At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Recently dropped Flash & Green Lantern Corps.

 
At 6:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I posted a response on my blog, because I am just that long-winded.

http://comicbookthoughts.blogspot.com/2006/11/schroedingers-dropped-comics.html

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Great to see everyone's comments. I see Bruce Jones is not a fan fav. And that Ion got better (think I stuck with it until issue 4).
I'm down to about $20 a week, or less.
Ragtime, love that the question spurred a post. Good points there.

 
At 11:57 AM, Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Uh, what exactly was so wrong with BATMAN: YEAR 100?

 
At 4:05 PM, Blogger phillygirl2873 said...

Yeah I'm on a $30 a week habit also, and I've decided that it's time to start trimming down the series. Deadman might be on the list, I haven't read the latest issue yet, but I've cut out Blue Beetle and American Virgin for sure. I'm also trimming down more Civil War cross-overs and some of the many X-Men/Wolverine titles I'm reading. Too many comics, not enough time or money.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home