Redhead Fangirl

Saturday, October 14

Masters of American Comics

A quick report on my trip to NYC to see one part of the Masters of American Comics. It wasn't a Met level sized exhibit, but starting with Will Eisner's panels for The Spirit, and ending with Chris Ware's obscenely detailed and striking work on Jimmy Corrigan, the 6 artists represented the 80 year span of American Comics. There was a Superheroes room, with Siegel and Shuster's Superman. (Siegel's typewriter! Sketch panels! Action Comics!). Jewish immigrants were responsible for the start of the comic genre, and the origin of their American story and comics dovetailed here.

I have a lot more to share about this. A camphone pic of the mini-comics at Jim Hanley's, thought of Dave at Yet Another Comics Blog, who always writes about minis.

And, for any Project Runway fans, the Macy's window with all the winning designs. Cracked me up when I was taking a photo and young German tourists were behind me yelling "Uli! Uli!"

5 Comments:

At 4:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When in NYC, did you stop at Grey's Papaya for a hot dog?

 
At 6:01 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

I did have a hot dog on the Met steps. And an excellent veggie bagel sandwich in midtown.
Can you believe I've never been in Gray's?

 
At 7:33 AM, Blogger Joe said...

Uli's got some unique designs, but I'm partial to the clothing stylings of uh, that rock 'n roll guy with the neck tattoos...His name escapes me, but his tattooed neck is an image that's hard to forget.

NYC is always fun. It's gotta be one of the best places for comics, right? Are there any other comic meccas? I'd think Tokyo would be one.

Rock on!

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Jeffrey- argh! I do like his designs, sometimes, but I know I would hate him in real life. He's heinous. I like Laura (not just because she's a redhead!) and Michael, but his designs look way hoochie for the finale.

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aww, you though of me--how sweet :)

Oh, and I'm jealous that you got to go to MoAC; all I've be able to see of it is the (quite nifty) exhibition catalog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home