Redhead Fangirl

Tuesday, August 8

4 days until my con

4 days left to go before my MidJersey con. I was interviewed by a small newspaper yesterday, on my thoughts of comic book movies, are kids interested in comic books, do people dress up at cons. All in all, I don't think I sounded like an idiot and hope it doesn't seem that way in print.

Wizard World Chicago wrap up
Seems like the wave of the San Diego con took its toll on WWChitown. But, see a photo of our good friend, writer Chuck Satterlee at Markosia.

The all-new Atom 2
"This bio-belt is an amazing, unbelievable device. " Ryan Choi continues in Ray Palmer's work as the Atom, with a belt that controls weight, mass, density-- shifting size is unstable.

John Byrne on art- the "oh so steamy nuclear physics prof" doesn't seem so attractive with the jagged edge pencils, and the shadows. I know Ryan Choi is asian, but his eyes are closed or just barely open in most of his panels. Eyes are a black slash many times. I've heard some groans about him on art (coasting on past success?) and Ethan Van Sciver has a post on the John Byrne sharpie marker incident and Heidi's creator creep squad.

Fanboys and girls, do you think the groans re; Byrne are more art based or personality based? I'd like to hear what the scuttlebutt is.

Simone addresses creating a new Atom head- (apply directly to the forehead) "I can't replace him. Not in a millenium could I replace Ray Palmer."

5 Comments:

At 5:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So what small newspaper was it? Inquiring NJ minds want to know.

 
At 7:38 PM, Blogger James Meeley said...

I definately think the "Byrne groans" are more personality based, than art based.

There are plenty of artists who might be "past their prime" with thier craft, yet are no where NEAR as reviled or disliked as John Byrne has become.

Some creators, like Steve Ditko and Frank Frazetta, are reclusive and known for not saying very much publicly. Byrne, IMO, is the exact opposite. He really needs to shut the hell up more often.

Just one fan's opinion... ;)

 
At 11:25 AM, Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

I couldn't really care that Byrne is a prickly character, who offends easily, and who holds prejudices, because I too am prickly, offensive and prejudice. But I ain't a hypocrite.

My problem is that his art has gone down the tubes since quitting Superman in, what, 1988? '89? The guy always needed an inker to make his work tolerable (his own inks on ALPHA FLIGHT and FANTASTIC FOUR ruined both books for me as a kid in the eighties). Now all his work seems muddy, rushed, hacked out. He needs to find a way back to his muse.

 
At 2:28 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Vincent- The Register News is doing a comicon piece- it's Burlington Cty, the heart of where the show is.

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Gordon D said...

I think most of the Byrne-bashing is based on his personality - it's one thing to be prickly and opinionated; it's another to go out of your way to be offensive. (The whole Jessica Alba/latino blond woman fiasco, as one example). Personally, I kind of enjoy his art, and really like his work on The All-New Atom, which has a 21st century Golden Age-esque feel, if that makes sense.

Of course, his work has gone downhill, but what artist hasn't had his dry periods?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home