Redhead Fangirl

Friday, July 7

Big rocks that do magic

Oooh, C got me a scanner. Is it weird that a girl doesn't want jewelry or shoes, but a scanner? I did get bubble bath. And a pool. And R gave me the Mary Jane figure- the "Face it Tiger, you hit the jackpot one".

Batman in Detective Comics 1990
Story: A batmaniac is chopping people apart claiming he's Batman. Copies of Batman Comics are found at the murder scene.
"It's just a comic book Alfred. It has nothing to do with me."

Eternals 1
Neil Gaiman, John Romita, Jr.
Ike Harris has dreams of adventures, love affairs and betrayals, but no one involved remembers or believes him. And who is trying to kill him to keep him from talking about it?
Mark Curry, medical resident, is told he is an "indestructible being, put here by aliens"
He believes he's being harassed by a crackpot, but is slowly making connections to the fantastic story he is being told. The Celestials seed the planet with life- humans, eternals, deviants included. "Big rocks that do magic"
I was a little disappointed in this issue- are summer comics like summer TV, just filler and not the meaty stuff? Eternals seems ambitious.... Drawn to the cover art, and having no experience with the original Eternals, I didn't know what it would be...but just wasn't taken by the story yet. Sirsi, a party girl, is commissioned to do get guests to a shady group representing the country Vorozheika -- not revealed what these guests will be lured for.
I will probably get issue 2. Eternals #1-6 (limited series; Jun. 2006 - Nov. 2006)

The Flash 1 [DiMeo, Bilson]
The Fastest Man A
live
Usually I gush about comics, but I just am hard to please recently! I couldn't make sense of who was the current Flash, who used to be the Flash. Jay Garrick is on his own as the only Flash at the start.
The speed force can not be tapped? Jay, Wally, Bart? I think DiMeo and Bilson assumed a broader knowledge of the Flash than certainly I have. And Bart Allen just seems moody to take the lead as The Flash.
Bart Allen has lost everything- his powers and his best friend Wally West.
Former heroes are difficult subjects
.
Lashley's cover art is great- splinters of red and gold light. The interior art is good, but left me a little cold compared to the cover.


Bite Club: Vampire Crimes Unit 3[Chayken, Tischman]
Naked prison vampire shank fight!
All I'm saying is that the vampire ward of the women's prison is a baaaad place to be. When you are naked and jumped in the showers. The final panels have our detective Macavoy uncovering vampire detective Yama's 'master'; Fontina meets with Risa's lover Carrie to blackmail her for info. And advice is doled out about Risa:

"Crazy bitch is a fuckin' animal. Treat her any different, she'll fucking kill you"

3 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Blogger Gordon D said...

Do you know if that arc in DETECTIVE is available in trade.

It's actually a pretty sweet mini-series dealing with a comic taking "liberties" with Batman; a serial killer who mimics the (fictional) comics; and Dick Sprang doing the covers.

Trust me - it's worth reading the entire story.

 
At 9:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No it's not avaialbe in trade. Just in those three issues. I agree. Good story.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Jason said...

I think I will check out the Eternals, 1

 

Post a Comment

<< Home