Redhead Fangirl

Thursday, April 19

It's the final 'countdown'

Me at The Cloisters, NYC, praying that Marvel doesn't kill off Mary Jane.

When 52 is over, I will have spent $130 on every floppy issue. I'm reluctant to give Countdown that commitment-- I liked having a weekly book (although I was usually playing catch up with 3 issues at a time). At 2.99, this is $155. I like to be up on the DC universe, but $155-- that's ankle wrap sandals, a summer dress, peach lipstick...

My question to you:
Countdown - will you buy it? Did you buy 52? Every issue?

Mikester: I'm curious just how Countdown is going to do. I've been hearing quite a few customers saying that, while they followed and enjoyed 52, one year-long weekly series was enough, thank you, and that they'll probably pass on Countdown. A few have cited the price increase, from 52's $2.50 to the new series' $2.99, as a factor against the series as well. I'm guessing that at least some of these folks will probably cave, and sample the series anyway. I mean, if you're coming in every week for your funnybooks, you're going to see a new Countdown on the shelf, and it's just one more $2.99 book to add to the pile...it's not that big of a deal.

Non-comic things I'm currently into:

TV: The Deadliest Catch King Crab fisherman risk their lives for crab. The competition, strategy all make for great TV. The Shield began the new season with the continued showdown between Vic and Cavanaugh (Forrest Whittaker), and the writing and characters go far beyond the dirty cop concepts.

Music: The Shins Wincing the night away. Love the song 'Turn on me'.

Book: Then we came to the end Reminds me of the layoffs at my old ad agency. Not just a satire, but well developed characters at a workplace going down the tubes.

Labels: , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At 9:19 AM, Blogger Ragtime said...

My question to you:Countdown - will you buy it? Did you buy 52? Every issue?

Well, I haven't bought the last two yet, and it would be presumptuous to presume that far into the future.

Assuming the future resembles the past, I will have bought all 52 (56!) of them.

And so far Countdown has not done anything to not make me want to buy it. I mean, Jimmy Olsen, Mary Marvel, AND Holly from Catwoman? What's not to like?

 
At 10:23 AM, Blogger Swinebread said...

I gave up on the buying everything stuff, I’ll borrow 52 and the rest from the library.

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger Nick said...

My question to you:Countdown - will you buy it? Did you buy 52? Every issue?

Bought every issue of 52 and will likely buy all of Countdown if the writing is as good as 52. Really that's the question to be asked, can this team of writers pull off what the last team did with 52?
Given the increase of 50 cents in cover price, they are gonna have to, or DC is gonna take a bath on the whole thing.

 
At 1:10 PM, Blogger Gordon D said...

I'll sample an issue or two of Countdown, but I think that one weekly comic in a year is enough.

It's a great gimmick, but something about Countdown smacks of shark jumping...of course, I'm recovering from WW3, so there you go.

 
At 6:18 PM, Blogger Dave Carter said...

With Paul Dini in charge, I'm giving Countdown a go.

 
At 6:27 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

Yes, I bought every issue of 52. It was the first comic I read on the subway home every Wednesday this past year.

Yes, I'll be getting Countdown. It will likely be the first comic I read on the subway home every Wednesday for the next year.

The chance to buy a weekly comic is just something I can't resist, not when it involves the DCU.

 
At 8:28 PM, Blogger GiantKillerMantis said...

i've bought all of 52. i don't plan on buying Countdown, just b/c i'm so tired of Events. i even think it will be good, i just can't take any more Events for a while.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home