Redhead Fangirl

Monday, April 2

Snake Woman


Snakewoman 1 and 2

I had no interest in any of the titles from the new Virgin Comics line. I like reading fiction that gives me a sense of (modern) India and Asia, but the mission statement for Virgin said they were going to tap into the 'vast mythology' of Asia. It's just personal preference-- I like modern stories in my reading, even futuristic, but historical fiction or mythology are a hard sell. But Bryan at Comic Relief really liked these new comics, so I bought Snakewoman, Devi and The Sadhu.

First, the $6.99 price of the double issues was a gulp! Overall, I liked the story, but didn't love it. Jessica (another Jessica in comics?) is just an unassuming girl working in a bar - who of course has massive hidden powers to transform into a killer Snake Woman. Again, a familiar road-- but I guess that's the fantasy-- I wish I had latent unknown powers to use! The story is there is "The 68", who Snake Woman will try to kill, while juggling her good time roommate Jin and the literal guy-next-door Raj. I also thought the art was too dark, not in a metaphoric way, but that the panels had too much black and shade. The facial closeups did show needed expression. Has anyone else read Snake Woman and have thoughts?

Random links-

Variant Edition has a new segment: Tuesday headlines and what to get for new comic Wed!

Thanks to reading the news headlines on the new Wii
Vote to choose new Star Wars favorite stamp

Soon- March referrals, more reviews.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 10:17 PM, Blogger Canton said...

Snake Woman... I'm a bit of a sucker for dual-identity/origin stories, and this one I have kept reading for some reason. (Like I don't have enough character-versus-inner-monster stories to read!) Every issue seems to add more to this complex mysterious conspiracy involving reincarnation and The 68. (I don't think I've spoiled anything there.) There is a lot of killing, a lot of blood. Artwise, the fight scenes are maybe a little... awkward, I guess. The historical flashbacks can be difficult to follow, too, which is unfortunate, since they are important.

But at least there is some intrigue. And there are some bittersweet moments, too. Two of Jessica's kills in particular are surprisingly sad. *shrugs* The story does build, but it takes some time to do it. Just my two bits. :)

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

You are the second person to say that this story gets more intriguing.

I think we all like the secret powers/unknown history, which can be done in new ways, but can be a overdone too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home