Redhead Fangirl

Tuesday, December 5

#11 Mystique

Mystique is a shapeshifter, but her blue skin, yellow eyes and red hair are present in her natural form. She makes my list at #11 for being shown as a redhead in print, and of course the sexy and brutal portrayal by Rebecca Romijn in the X-men films.

Mystique (Raven Darkholme) is a Marvel Comics character associated with the X-Men franchise. Created by writer Chris Claremont and artist Jim Mooney, she first appeared in Ms. Marvel #17 (May 1978).

X-2:
Nightcrawler: Excuse me? They say you can imitate anybody, even their voice.
Mystique: [as Nightcrawler] Even their voice.
Nightcrawler: Then why not stay in disguise all the time? You know, look like everyone else.
Mystique: Because we shouldn't have to.

Mystique is a great villian, for both her ruthlessness in murder and her shape-shifting abilities that make the reader or viewer unaware of her identity until the reveal. Being the mother of Nightcrawler, and the foster mother of Rogue adds to the dichotomy of Mystique.

Veteran X-Men writer Chris Claremont has stated in interviews that he originally intended for Mystique and Destiny to be Nightcrawler's biological parents (Mystique having morphed into a man for the conception), but Marvel nixed the idea for being too controversial, due to it being a point in time where writers were prevented from having a character be gay or bisexual.

An old man of ninety was sitting on a park bench crying.

A policeman noticed this and asked him why he was crying.

"Well," says the old fellow, "I just got married to a twenty-five year old redhead. Every morning she makes me a wonderful breakfast and then we make love. In the afternoon she makes me a wonderful lunch and then we make love. At dinner time she makes me a wonderful supper and then we make love."

The policeman looks at the old man and says, "You shouldn't be crying! You should be the happiest man in the world!"

So the old man says, "I know! I'm crying because I don't remember where I live!"

3 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger Richard said...

This choice surprised me because I never thought of her as being a redhead!

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

I like good surprises!

A lot of the artwork in recent years show Mystique with very red hair, and she is groovy-bad, so I went with her!

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Weird...I never knew about Claremont's original plan to have Mystique and Destiny being Nightcrawler's parents. I think that would have been a cool idea. Oh, how homophobia sucks.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home