Redhead Fangirl

Wednesday, December 6

#10 Giganta


A character first seen in 1944, Giganta makes my list at #10. Imprinted from the Super Friends shows of my childhood, as the Legion of Doom rose from the swamp...

Wonder Woman vol. 1 #9 (Summer 1944)
The original version of Giganta was a foe of the Golden Age Wonder Woman, first appearing in Wonder Woman Vol. 1 #9 where the ape Giganta is artificially evolved into a large red-headed human woman by Professor Zool.

Giganta became a favorite villian, looming over the Justice League in the Super Friends series. Her cave woman cloth, that expanded with her size, was fascinating to me. Of course the psychology of a superstrong and huge woman has been discussed as male fantasy/repression ideas. Breasts each the size of a house makes anyone ponder- then the fact that she could swallow you or stomp you to death- there is fear and lust rolled up.

Giganta was first seen outside comics as a member of the Legion of Doom in the 1970s animated TV series Super Friends. In the TV series, she has the ability to grow to giant size (with accompanying superhuman strength) simply by willing it.

Legend of the superheroes 1979 "
a live-action comedy/action kids show that thankfully only managed to eke out two episodes" Giganta appears, but only bends a bar instead of growing in size.

Joss Whedon has been bellyaching about the villians for his Wonder Woman movie. I'd like to see Giganta, if not as the main villian, but certainly as backup.

Giganta rap sheet

SuperFriends Page


Red Heads & Freckles
photographs of redheads, G rated

3 Comments:

At 6:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is that your picture on the redheads website? 6th row, first picture?

Love the Top 15 list. I'm hoping my personal faves make the cut.

 
At 10:51 AM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Not my pic. At first I thought she didn't look like me (I'm cuter) but yes, I see it a little.

I know I won't get a lot of people's favs. At the end I hope for some comments on the many other redheads in comics we love!

 
At 6:02 PM, Blogger rich said...

Giganta is okay in my book ... on the other end is Janet Van Dyke/Pym, alias the Wasp. Funny thing is, she just became Giant Woman ... Now there would be an interesting crossover slugfest between these giant babes!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home