Redhead Fangirl

Wednesday, April 12

New Jersey, Inland and the Free States

Drove to Comic Lair, but missed it being open. Boo hoo, I'll have to talk about an older comic.

DMZ #1, January 2006

I'm still working on getting to some comics I missed from Vertigo that the NYcomicon turned me on to. So I've read Loveless 1, now DMZ, and still have Testament in the wings.

Manhattan Island has become the DMZ between Brooklyn/ US and New Jersey, Inland and the Free States. Five years of civil war have turned it into the "beleaguered island of Manhattan- faced with the realities of the war zone they live in: looters, roving gangs of neighborhood militia, insurgents, car bombers, contract killers...this is daily life in the city."

I enjoyed the art and story here... Brian Wood weaves a great set up of a photo intern, Matthew Roth, being dropped into the DMZ. Wood and Riccardo Burchielli's art, of military copters, burned out city life were interesting and well paced. The comic only started in '06, and I plan on catching up to DMZ 6 out this week.

2 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Blogger Richard said...

I haven't read this yet, so my reaction is no reflection on how the actual comic handles the premise...but sight unseen, I'd find this a bit more tempting were it set in any real place other than New York. The whole "New York as lawless combat zone" was a poisonous cliche even before Escape From New York was made, and I'm not excited by anything that hints of a return for that particular prejudice.

Yeah, I know Brian Wood's from Brooklyn, so I'd expect at least he gets the geography right...

 
At 4:10 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

I thought of "Ft. Apache the Bronx" myself. I remember seeing that movie as a kid and being scared of the city.
I biased by the New Jersey as rebel free state.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home