Redhead Fangirl

Friday, March 10

Ego and hubris

Just woke up. Have a mess of comics to read. Next weekend is my MidJersey Comicon, and today I got a big box and poster tube from Sony pictures with Silent Hill promo stuff.
Love free stuff! I've put in about 10,000 hours of work on it along with Bold Venture Press partner R. So if you divide the hotel cost, Wizard ad, flyers, mailings, and our time, we should make about .01 cents. But it's all worth it to see the tables set up and meet comicminded people.
One of the indie creators at MJCC is Rob Reilly, recently getting a Wizard shout out for indy books to watch in '06 !
CONVENTION CONFIDENTIAL Sex, lies and cosplay—that’s what comic conventions are all about! Well, not really, but luckily we really know what goes on in Artist’s Alley, thanks to Rob Reilly and his dirt-dishing, pulls no punches series, Convention Confessional. Largely based on his and fellow cartoonist Steve Walters’ experiences, the book serves as a tome of therapeutic, cautionary and educational tales. “If you're considering a career in comics, here's what you're in for,” says Reilly. “[And] give the small press some respect, they bust their asses without [any] thanks.” Show some respect and pick up Convention Confessional #2 from Skatoon Productions in March.

The best damn North Irish comic blogger, Bad Librarianship, has an interesting link to an article interviewing Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman.

The class of 2005: a tough year for comics startups .
Speakeasy Comics has shut its doors and will not be publishing comics for, at the very least, the rest of the year.

Reviewing fiction titles to purchase for the library, I saw a Pekar title, not about him!
Ego & Hubris- Harvey Pekar
"Michael Malice's autobiography is a long string of episodes where he is right and everyone else is wrong" "he's in constant contact with people stupider than he.."
Compelling and memorable character.


4 Comments:

At 7:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say, RF, that I'm glad you're feeling better. My mother-in-law just had a triple-bypass today, which the docs say she will recover from well. I read your blog every day, but it wasn't until today, while sitting in the surgical waiting room for 7 hours, that I thought about writing to you and saying how glad I am to hear that someone I "know" is feeling better from her ailments. Keep reading the comics and keep writing about them.

 
At 8:46 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Randy- good wishes sent out across the states to mom-in-law! Honestly, I think some of my blog friends are way more connected to me than my 'close' friends. and family.

 
At 6:15 AM, Blogger geekboypress said...

One more week 'til the show. Can't wait! I even dreamt about it last night. Kinda weird that it had Jim Lee, Robert Kirkman and lotsa pie. Anyway, see ya on Sunday.

 
At 1:24 PM, Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Glad yer feeling better, and thanks for the linky. But as long as Creative Struggling is around, I'm just second best damn Northern Irish comic blogger.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home