Redhead Fangirl

Wednesday, February 6

The woman thing

I read on Slate about an email going around that attaches this great essay-

Goodbye To All That (#2) by Robin Morgan
February 2, 2008

“Goodbye To All That” was my (in)famous 1970 essay breaking free from a politics of accommodation especially affecting women (for an online version, see http://blog.fair-use.org/category/chicago/).

Full text:
http://www.womensmediacenter.com/ex/020108.html

....Goodbye to some women letting history pass by while wringing their hands, because Hillary isn’t as “likeable” as they’ve been warned they must be, or because she didn’t leave him, couldn’t “control” him, kept her family together and raised a smart, sane daughter. (Think of the blame if Chelsea had ever acted in the alcoholic, neurotic manner of the Bush twins!)

Goodbye to some women pouting because she didn’t bake cookies or she did, sniping because she learned the rules and then bent or broke them. Grow the hell up. She is not running for Ms.-perfect-pure-queen-icon of the feminist movement. She’s running to be president of the United States....

And for why I voted for Hilary in the primary, the author nails why-

As for the “woman thing”?

Me, I’m voting for Hillary not because she’s a woman—but because I am.

Labels:

5 Comments:

At 12:52 PM, Blogger Richard said...

Not disagreeing with the above in the slightest, but...it's also quite possible for someone to vote for Hillary Clinton without regard to race or gender, simply because someone genuinely feels that of all the candidates she would make the best President.

Some people with their own agendas are trying to frame this choice as "of course no one could actually vote for Clinton on her own merits, therefore a vote for Hillary is really a vote against Obama, probably because that voter is a hypocritical closet racist terrified by the prospect of a black President." Just as you'll see other people arguing "a vote for Obama isn't really a vote for him as an individual, but a vote against the evil hated Clintons and in favor of civil rights." That kind of reductionist argument is insulting to both of the candidates and to all of us as voters. (Not that we don't deserve some insults over the bad choices we've made in the past...)

On a side note, I'm a straight white male who voted for Hillary (not against Obama, but for her) and I'm getting pissed off at television pundits who keep telling me I don't exist.

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

I guess that's it-- I voted for Hilary, and not against Obama.

They do act like you are some mythical thing- a white man who voted for Hilary! I know quite a few of you. And also several African Americans who voted for her.

But we are in our Northeast bubble here. If only the rest of the country had voted for Gore and Kerry like we did....

 
At 2:04 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

I guess that's it-- I voted for Hilary, and not against Obama.

They do act like you are some mythical thing- a white man who voted for Hilary! I know quite a few of you. And also several African Americans who voted for her.

But we are in our Northeast bubble here. If only the rest of the country had voted for Gore and Kerry like we did....

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Ragtime said...

Yey! I voted for Senator Clinton in New Jersey too!

My friends look at me like I just wrote in Dick Cheney or something.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger running42k said...

I also think that the issues should be thought of before the gender/race equation.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home