Redhead Fangirl

Monday, January 28

Yorick comes to the end

This week is all about the last issue of Y: The Last Man, #60. BKV said he spent extra time on it (the only good thing about the writers strike).

Poor Heidi at Comics Fairplay gets comments about her comic book reading from not one, but two gymbarbies. One gives the scrunchy face disapproval, and one is out and out hostile and made her poor husband sell his comics.

What gets me more is the famous "mom card". People with kids use them as an excuse and reason for everything. I have friends and relatives with kids, and I love buying presents for them- and playing- but some people act like having children makes them a better and more relevant person. Believe me, I see tons of parents at the library and in life that are not in anyway better than me, no way no sir. I can get really steamed up about the rude and ignorant comments people say. With all the attention on pregnant stars and celebrity babies, it seems that a woman- especially a married woman-is forced to have kids. Have we gone back to the 1950s?

Also, why is it that men with kids still keep their life and hobbies-- they run, and read comics, and play guitar. But as soon as someone I know gets pregnant, it's forget the books they read or shows they watch or politics--- now it's all diaper bags and feeding. I understand being informed and interested in your children. Women, please don't lose yourselves so much in your marriage and kids that the friend we loved is gone.

OK, breathing now...

5 Comments:

At 4:35 AM, Blogger running42k said...

If it makes you happy and no one is getting harmed by it, then just do it.

 
At 5:45 AM, Blogger Elayne said...

Heh, "gymbarbies," that's the first time I've come across that neologism.

It's always been tough being married and childless; I've had to endure that one way or another for the better part of 20 years. What makes it worse is that I've always wanted kids but have been unable to conceive, and of course now it's too late.

 
At 11:54 AM, Blogger Novice said...

It pisses me off when people act like women are "supposed" to have kids. I made a choice to have children. To say that it's something I had to do because I'm female takes away the importance of that choice, and the long hours I spent thinking about it.

It is sad to see women give up themselves when they become mothers. Obviously, there will be great sacrifice (like sleeping a full 8 hours). Obviously you won't have time for everything you did before you became a parent, but if you sacrifice the things that really make you who you are, and really make you happy, you'll only end up resenting your children, and that's not fair to anyone.

My friends with kids and I are really good at keeping each other the people we were before we had kids. If we ever sense that one of us is getting too close to the edge, we throw a "No Kids Allowed" party and call the grandparents/babysitters/neighbors who are only too happy to help.

Next time someone gets all sanctimonious on you, Redheaded Fangirl...bitch slap her.

 
At 3:00 PM, Blogger Bill D. said...

I've definitely known women who drop just about everything that made them interesting the second they give birth, but that definitely wasn't the case for my wife. If anything, she's picked up more interests since our son was born... they're a great way for her to unwind after working and mommying all day. It always surprises me that that's not more common.

 
At 10:08 AM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Thanks for the comments here. I know comic people are cool for a reason!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home