Redhead Fangirl

Thursday, August 24

Studying to be Batman

All Batman related news today!

Grant Morrison 'gets off a good shot at the plans to show Batman kicking bin Laden's ass: "Cheering on a fictional character as he beats up fictionalized terrorists seems like a decadent indulgence when real terrorists are killing real people in the real world. I'd be so much more impressed if Frank Miller gave up all this graphic novel nonsense, joined the Army and, with a howl of undying hate, rushed headlong onto the front lines with the young soldiers who are actually risking life and limb 'vs' Al Qaeda'

Christopher Nolan promises a 'darker joker'. He references The Killing Joke.

Justice League of America 1 Brad Melzer, Ed Benes
The new JLA begins with the selection process.

Forty beats per minute- that's fast for Bruce--he's actually excited.

From what I followed, the JLA is the Big 3, with Captain Marvel, Red Tornado, Green Lantern Hal, Mr. Terrific, Ray Palmer, Flash
I don't know the character Roy as Arsenal, except that I know Shelly is happy (and had a great Roy Harper gallery )
Well, I'm just overjoyed (not) that Power Girl is now 'ready' to be in the League. She has been pretty high profile in DC the last few years. Let's not kid ourselves though that it is because of her strength.

The Tornado's Path begins, with the Red Tornado pondering a restart in a human form.
"the most powerful- and potentially dangerous- thing Reddy's got going for him- is the android body suit."

Being from New Jersey, Kevin Smith movies incorporate a lot of the raunch and scenery of my life here. I thought C2 was a more mature yet still the same at its roots, but laughed more than anything else in recent memory. And, in Clerks II Kevin Smith tied in his comic background in two lines from the movie-
Dante's future wife says "Face it Tiger, you hit the Jackpot" a la the Mary Jane line to Peter Parker.
And Randall tells Dante "We took Criminology. What were we studying to be, Batman?"


I have a big stack of comics to read this weekend!

15 Comments:

At 3:20 PM, Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

Ray Palmer? Is he in the suit?

That is one wacky line-up. Each to their own, I guess.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Ragnell said...

Oh, lay off of Power Girl. It's because she has a fun personality to write. The artists can drawn ANY female character with Quadruple D-Cup if they want cheesecake, INCLUDING Oracle and the vast majority of them have revealing costumes.

She's popular because she has good powers and a fun attitude.

 
At 10:09 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

I won't lay off. It's my party here and I will say what I want to. You have your own forum of syncophants, which you already called me out in once.

She's popular because she has huge knockers, as the first thing anyone mentions with her character.

 
At 1:57 PM, Blogger Ragnell said...

*Sigh* I was trying to be reasonable.

You do realize that you're personally insulting all of her fans whenever you say huge knockers is the ONLY reason people like her?

How'd you feel if someone were to accuse you of ONLY liking characters for some superficial physical trait, and then argue that otherwise these characters that you love and follow and enjoy reading about and identify with are ONLY popular because of character design? Wouldn't that irk you a bit to be called so shallow by someone?

 
At 1:59 PM, Blogger Ragnell said...

By the way, was referring to that "calling you out" on my own blog thing as when I was trying to be reasonable. Because I was, I linked to you and the other lady specifically so you two could see the post and see the argument and understand why these characters ACTUALLY are popular.

It was not a personal attack.

 
At 12:27 PM, Blogger Mark Kardwell said...

I love Power Girl and I love big knockers. Coincidence? I think not.

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

OK, I'm not sure that making not one, not two, but THREE comments to my original one sentence post lands you in the 'reasonable' bin, but I'll let it go at that.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger kalinara said...

Personally, and this is just my limited experience mind, when I discuss Power Girl with fellow fans, I've only ever seen her chest size brought up to mock/disparage her.

I've never seen a fan describe her breast size as their reason for liking the character. Now this could be because I'm a woman myself and the guys I spoke to didn't want to be called out as sexist. I know why I like her though. I personally think she's a very strong-willed, brassy, entertaining character. It's nice actually to see a character that large busted women can identify with that actually gets character development as opposed to titillation poses.

I haven't seen Clerks 2 myself, but it does sound like a lot of fun. :-)

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed PG in the trade I bought of her because she's sassy and amusing and has interesting issues. Her boobs are a nice bonus, yeah, but they're really not all that exciting in a world of giant tits.

 
At 7:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think you need to lay off of insulting people just because they have a difference of opinion with you. I also resent that, as a male, being lumped into a category of being 'obsessed with knockers' because I happen to like the character of Power Girl. She is a strong-willed woman who doesn't take anything from anybody. I think that is a trait we should all be able to respect and admire in this day and age. Be we male or female.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger ShoreTurtle said...

I'm sure that there are fans who agree that she has good powers and a fun attitude, but you can't deny that her disproportionately large breasts are a selling feature as well. It's the first thing that I noticed.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, including Redhead fangirl. As she mentioned, it's her blog.

 
At 3:14 PM, Blogger kalinara said...

Of course, anyone can and should post their own opinions in their blogs. That's what they're there for. But the thing is, a blog isn't a private journal, it's a public venue. Anything, then, expressed publically is open to critique. As much as Redhead Fangirl certainly has the right to her opinion, we have the right to express our disagreement.

Unless she bans us of course. :-)

Personally I've never found Power Girl's breasts disproportionate. She's got a frame and musculature that appears able to support her size. Comparitive shoulders and hips. She's built like a lot of women in my extended family personally. Though we're not nearly so athletic.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger rich said...

Kalinara wrote:
"[Power Girl is] built like a lot of women in my extended family personally. Though we're not nearly so athletic."

OK ... I think I am needing your phone number, or at least those of your extended family ;)

As I've said before, SHE-HULK is a great character and series ... although I couldn't help noticing certain attributes when I picked up her first appearance in Fantastic Four nearly (gasp) twenty years ago.

 
At 9:38 PM, Blogger rich said...

What I meant to add, before hitting the send button ...

POWER GIRL has enormous breasts. No problem, here ... but they must look silly to some people, especially women. Redhead Fangirl happens to be one of those people.

I bought the first issue of POWER GIRL ... Her boobs were fine ... but the seemingly endless boob jokes kinda wore thin, after awhile. It's almost as though the creative team were snickering "off-camera", heckling the readers. "Yeah, we know why you REALLY bought this comic." I didn't purchase another issue.

 
At 12:09 PM, Blogger phillygirl2873 said...

Um, who is Power Girl?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home