Redhead Fangirl

Wednesday, November 23

my (young adult) baby



In the sense that I conceived and created the graphic novel sections for my public library, this is one of my babies. The adult section of graphic novels is not pictured. It took quite a lot of research, reviews and persuasion, but my library now has about 500 graphic novels. Our system probably has over 1000 all together.

When I first started, we had 3 graphic novels-- a 9/11 one, the Road to Perdition, and Maus. How far we've come! It is so awesome to see little kids pick up Batman or Kim Possible, teens with Inuyasha or Green Lantern, and adults with Watchmen, 100 Bullets. I love talking with patrons about what they like, and having part of my job being ordering graphic novels.

This is what started the fangirl road I'm speeding down now. Being a librarian is so much more than people think!

5 Comments:

At 6:29 AM, Blogger Jerry Novick said...

Wow - that's awesome! I'm going to have to check to see if my local library has a GN section also.

 
At 8:09 AM, Blogger brent d. said...

THAT IS AWESOME!!! Congratulations on getting them to see things your way!!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!! I hope you have a great day!

 
At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay!

Everytime I hear about libraries with large graphic novel collections, I get a warm fuzzy feeling.

 
At 7:00 PM, Blogger Rae said...

Cool! Our libraries don't have anything cool like that at ALL! Most of our reading selections are SO ancient. I couldn't even find a good book of Emily Dickenson poetry last time I went, and she's certainly not obscure!

 
At 2:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm a high-school librarian and have been buying graphic novels for about a year now. Once a kid finds them, they love them! It's so great. What are you reading now? Bone is doing great here as is Epileptic. Have you found The Rabbi's Cat? I don't know much about the super hero genre yet.
Linda M.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home