Redhead Fangirl

Thursday, December 13

Denied!

Denied!
I was hoping to do a "Great Graphic Novels of 2007 for Teens and Adults" at the NJ library conference, but our proposal was turned down due to 90 committee suggestions. I may still be part of the 'comic book mafia' as David calls us and for the Rock and Roll Librarian's GN session.

Anyway, I thought I would share my general suggestions here-- these were GNs and trades that libraries could have in their collections. Not at all a complete list for 2007.

Garage Band - Gipi
I loved the unusual art of this Italian GN, and forming a rock band is a great topic.


Minx line:
The Plain Janes, Clubbing, and Confessions of a Blabbermouth
For the teen drama fan in me; if you watched Veronica Mars or Dawsons or The OC, these are for you. The art and dialogue are sharp and modern, and deal with more than a supervillian.

Criminal 2: Lawless
Crime noir with melancholy characters by Ed Brubaker ;Sean Phillips art is pitch perfect
Criminal 1 post

Jack of Fables: The Nearly Great Escape
Vertigo: Bill Willingham, Matthew Sturges and Tony Akins
Fun, literate with excellent characterization and art that supports the Fables.

52 - volumes 1-4 in trade
Compiling the successful weekly trades, making C list characters the heart of the DC universe, and year in the world without Superman, Batman or Wonder Woman.
Much better received than the weekly Countdown DC is putting out.

DMZ 2: Body of a journalist
Brian Wood's political and thoughtful series. War, the media, responsibility, home, place, all rolled up in one package.

Any of these series highlight back issues of the characters-- Showcase Presents (DC) and Essential (Marvel).

Others I've bought for our library--
The Middleman [Viper]

Silverfish
Elephantmen
Elk's Run
The Otherside
God Save the Queen
The Castaways [NBM] Rob Vollmer, Pablo Callejo
Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus
Death Note series
Inubaka series

YALSA- Top ten great graphic novels for teens Most are 2005 and 2006 releases, so I tried to go more recent in my list for an 2008 presentation. Particularly liked Sloth and loved Pride of Baghdad.



Labels:

4 Comments:

At 3:59 AM, Blogger running42k said...

Too bad the proposal was rejected, it sounded pretty cool.

That DMZ one sounds interesting. I will see if my library has it.

 
At 9:25 AM, Blogger Nick said...

Nice picks, Criminal has always been one of my favorite ongoings series, you've should have seen the Times list. Yech!

Times Top 10 GNs of 2007: http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/top10/article/0,30583,1686204_1686244_1692006,00.html

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Thanks guys.
Nick thx I looked at the Times list- we did agree on Jack of Fables! The only other there I wanted to read was Sentences, because I saw him speak at NYCC and it intrigued me...

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Thanks guys.
Nick thx I looked at the Times list- we did agree on Jack of Fables! The only other there I wanted to read was Sentences, because I saw him speak at NYCC and it intrigued me...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home