Redhead Fangirl

Sunday, December 9

Diana and Rex

Three weeks of comics are now in my hands. It was a thicker pile than in quite a while, with many favorites.

Wonder Woman 14
Written by Gail Simone; Art and Cover by Terry Dodson and Rachel Dodson

As I've mentioned, I'm not as steeped in Wonder Woman lore as many comic fans. I know she is the premier female icon, but other than the Lynda Carter show and my underoos, I don't have the same connection to WW. But with Gail Simone now writing the title, I am now on the journey. I think she hit all the right notes: the grand sweeping superhero statements and the funny moments she is so good at writing. I loved when the Grodd gorillas were using her as a 'test' before fighting Superman-- that was great. I think WW suffers from a lack of a recognizable villian-- Cheetah only goes so far. Captain Nazi in this arc should make for an interesting fight, if not a historic one.

WW 15: Who tried to assassinate her on the night of her creation? Special Agent Diana Prince may not live to find out, as she faces a brutal Captain Nazi alone, unable to use her powers. And the re-forming army of the Society of Super Villains hunts her mother on Paradise Island!

Rex Libris 9
I hope more than librarians are reading Rex Libris. Just as Grey's Anatomy is only slightly about being a doctor, the crazy adventures of Rex are just in name only being a librarian. It's the most literate and intricate comic I read, with at least a few big smiles or laughs each issue.

New The Boys, Un-Men, BOP, The Sword, Justice League, DMZ, and more. With the freezing rain and cold maybe I can catch up soon.

Shoreturtle and I have also read the whole Dexter series of books (3) in a row. It's been a while since I was thrilled by a series read.

The holidays chock full the calendar. Lunch in south Jersey Fri and Saw a lot of college friends Sat in North Jersey, back to work and the dang weekend is over!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

At 5:07 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

I could never track down the single issues of Rex Libris. I did snag the trade when it came out. And during my brief library career I was never more than a page, so I guess I'm a non-librarian reader...

Actually I got turned onto the book by Chris Sims' Invincible Super-Blog, and hes a comics shop clerk so there you go...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home