Redhead Fangirl

Monday, March 20

comic book homework

My good friend M came out to work the admission desk yesterday. Bob from Stormwatch Comics gave her some comics and insisted she write him a 'book report'. She's a non comics reader, but loves Buffy, horror movies, Seth Green, and is a huge Lost fan. I gave her one of the Sin City trades for Xmas, because I think she'd be a great 'fangirl'.

“Astonishing X-Men Issues #1-3” by Whedon and Cassaday

OK, I’ll start off by saying that I was a little lost in the beginning. My knowledge of the X-men is limited to a little pop-culture knowledge and the movies. I’m not really familiar with all the characters in the Astonishing X-men, so I went to the Mavel webpage and Google to do a little research on some of the characters to get up to speed on what’s going on.

Well, besides being a little lost in the beginning, I really enjoyed this book. By the end of Issue 3 I really didn’t want it to end. I like the plot even though I don’t know all the history of the X-men. I’m intrigued with some of the characters that I’ve never seen before, like Kitty, McCoy, and Emma. I’m looking forward to the rest of the series. Sorry this is short, I wanted to write a long winded review, but I’m a little busy at work right now. It’s taken me all morning to just write these two paragraphs. Thanks for the comic Bob, I really did enjoy it
.

2 Comments:

At 2:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be nice Bob, I spent 5 whole hours writting that review. Haha.

 
At 3:08 PM, Blogger Richard said...

I came to the Joss Whedon series with a slightly different perspective: knowing way too much about the characters and their relationships and histories on the one hand...but also not having read an X-Men comic in about a decade, so it was almost like a reintroduction for me. And from that fence-straddling position, I had two immediate reactions. One was that Whedon was clearly writing for the hardcore X-fans and didn't do quite enough to introduce the characters for the benefit of Whedon fans...the other was that this was pure Whedon dialogue, and any fan of Buffy would be able to enjoy it on that level. (Everyone knows by now that Buffy herself was created as his tribute to Kitty, right?) Anyway, it sounds like M's response proves me right on both counts...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home