Redhead Fangirl

Friday, January 13

Ch-ch-ch, ha-ha-ha

You know, the Friday the 13th theme? Not only is it Friday the 13th, it is also a full moon. For moonchild Cancer's like me (and other water signs Pisces and Scorpio) it's OK to feel out of sorts- but it doesn't mean bad luck.

Thanks to Sam, a long time comic and sci fi fan who suggested I read JSA 81.
It was a sweet and simple father-daughter story, written by Geoff Johns and pencilled by Dale Eaglesham. Stargirl is one of the youngest members of the JSA, being raised by her stepdad Pat. Her real dad took off when she was born (her father was a member of the Royal Flush Gang)

Even being blonde, I like Stargirl- she's strong willed. Her midriff bearing outfit is sexy, but her braces and poses aren't too vampy. She's a teen trying to work out identity from the abandonment of her father, to getting a stepdad and brother and the clashing that causes.

"So what if the boys stare a little..." "Listen to me kid, boys are nothing but trouble"

This issue also introduced me to Liberty Belle, who first appearing in Boy Commandos in 1942. The back story is that her relationship with daughter Jesse Quick was strained when she found out Jesse was having an affair with fiance Philip. In #81 Stargirl convinces Liberty that "your daughter needs her mother". A well done, decent story I'd suggest to anyone.

7 Comments:

At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're giving JSA a try, Red. In my opinion, it's one of the best books out there these days.

 
At 8:58 PM, Blogger Ragnell said...

(You just slid up on the cool-scale by showing off astrology knowledge)

Funny you shoudl admit liking Stargirl, even for a blonde. I've always thought that there were too many blondie teenaged girls and that Courtney should dye her hair red (while some of the others need to be killed and replaced by brunettes and redheads).

 
At 9:01 PM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Randy- After this I'll def. give it a go. And Arthur Curry is my Aquaman, well, specifically Arthur and Mera together.
Ragnell- That's why I mentioned I liked Stargirl, even being a blonde. I get teased that if the character isn't a redhead, I don't like her!

 
At 6:33 AM, Blogger Rae said...

Hope you had a 'safe' Fri the 13th! I really don't see how ANY Friday can be bad though....

 
At 1:49 PM, Blogger rich said...

"I get teased that if the character isn't a redhead, I don't like her!"

Hmmm ... just like I get teased, if a female comics characters isn't massively well-endowed. ;)

 
At 4:24 PM, Blogger Ragnell said...

So then you both have no problem with the Bulleteer? :)

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger rich said...

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't "noticed" the Bulletteer ... She's ok :)

I haven't yet purchased the SEVEN SOLDIERS. Not sure I'd like it.

It took a very long time to convince certain people that I really enjoyed SHE-HULK for the plots and characterization ... not just the healthy green physique.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home