Redhead Fangirl

Sunday, April 20

New York Comiccon: 2 Days

Photos: Dan Slott- Marvel
Ghost Hunters Jason and Grant
IronMan
Garth Ennis (left)
Brian Azzarello (100 Bullets, Loveless)
































2 very full days at the NY Comiccon. Overall, I wouldn't miss it for seeing the creators I did- professionals I've met before at the MidJersey Comicon or Wizard or NYCC, and for some great panels. Garth Ennis! Ghost Hunters with Josh from Destination: Truth! Vertigo with Brian Wood and Azzarello and Mark Buckingham!

But this time I had my first twinges of not liking the show. I never got to say more than hi to Gail Simone, or even get to Ethan Van Sciver. I knew getting one of 40 Alex Ross tickets was impossible when the lines started hours before. I didn't see Frank Miller, or Jim Lee, as expected.

There are always people more committed or crazier than I am to wait for a whole day for 2 minutes face time.

At least phillygirl was with me to enjoy the con and the fun moments, and beers with Rock& Roll Librarian.

There were times when hundreds of manga kids in gothic lolita costumes clogged the aisles, or camped out in packs by the panels. I guess my comics experience is to meet artists and writers, and learn about their creations---but the cosplayers are more Look at me! Take photos of me!

I almost got poked by a dang cosplay umbrella!

Maybe because their Japanese or Korean creators are an ocean away and aren't there. I guess if I ever went in costume, I'd want attention to all the time it took. I'd rather just hear some writer speak though.

Also, jam ups around Selma Blair, Seth Green-- any TV or movie star-- and Neil Gaiman made it hard to get by. I read after we left Sat night they had to close the downstairs by the panel rooms. One time there was this mass of humanity at the end of the escalator-- it was for the Lucas films preview.

There were 'Excellent moments':
Riccardo Bucherrelli signed my DMZ one and sketched a Matty for me and a Zee for phillygirl.

Accosting Grant and Jason from Ghost Hunters and getting a photo of them, and seeing Josh from Destination: Truth moderate the panel

Listening to Garth Ennis speak for an hour

Grant Morrison's thick accent explaining Seaguy- he was flippin' hysterical

Having a few moments to speak with Brian Wood about DMZ and Local

Hanging out with Rags Morales while he sketched

Taking a photo with Brian Azzarello

More photos to come. Have to work today at the library!

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

At 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It was a lot of fun! But crazy and huge. I thought it was better organized than last year though...line inside that moved fast and no wristbands holding up the line process. Still a madhouse though.

Phillygirl

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Nick said...

Better to be poked with an umbrella then by something else a cosplayer is swinging around.....that's all I'm saying, lol.

Glad to hear you had a blast and a tad envious of the Slott pic.

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Ghost Hunters are hot.

Did you eat anything good while in NYC?

 
At 10:53 AM, Blogger RedheadFangirl said...

Nick, I was lucky enough to meet Dan and have him come to the MidJersey. He was so nice to jump off his seat to come down to me!

Food- $10 Sante Fe salad and $10 sandwich at Javits; Fish and Chips at the Irish bar; Diner and a hot dog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home